Call to Artists – 2020 Artist Pool
Request for Qualifications (RFQ)
Visual artists are invited to be considered for new artist opportunities.
Online submittal must be completed via SlideRoom by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on December 9, 2019 December 23, 2019.
Interested artists are encouraged to learn more about Metro art opportunities and the 2020 Artist Pool through our:
Metro’s art program commissions artists to create artworks that improve the transit customer experience and contribute to the artistic vibrancy of the communities we serve.
- The Artist Pool will be one of the primary methods for inviting artists to apply for future Metro art opportunities.
- Opportunities include artwork integration within the built environment and short term exhibitions in media such as lightboxes, posters and construction phase banners.
- Inclusion in the Artist Pool does not guarantee a commission.
- Professional artists working in two- and three-dimensional media at all career stages that are interested in creating art for the public realm. Prior public art experience is not a requirement.
- Artists who are legally authorized to work in the United States (per U.S. Department of Labor).
- Metro employees and contractors are not eligible.
Evaluation criteria will vary depending on skills required for future opportunities, but could include the following:
Artistic Merit as evidenced by submitted digital images:
- Originality of concept and aesthetic strength of artist’s body of work
- Mastery of techniques and materials
Professional Recognition as evidenced by submitted statements and resume:
- Education and training as an artist
- Exhibition record in museums, art galleries, non-profit or alternative art spaces
- Public or private art commissions
- Awards, fellowships, artist-in-residencies, acclaimed critical response or other acknowledgements demonstrating professional practice
Information and support materials must be submitted through Slideroom.com which includes up to 10 digital files of their artwork, a professional resume and an artist statement.
- Applicants can receive technical support for submissions by emailing email@example.com or by accessing the online help desk: httpss://support.slideroom.com/
- Allow adequate time to familiarize yourself with the SlideRoom submittal process and to receive any needed technical support.
- Information submitted by mail, email, fax, hand-delivery or after the deadline will not be considered.
- Incomplete submittals will not be evaluated.
- Artists who do not meet the eligibility requirements will not be evaluated.
- Questions related to the Artist Pool can be submitted via email to ArtistOpportunities@metro.netthrough 5:00 p.m. (PST) on December 4, 2019 December 18, 2019.
- Questions will be answered in the order received and responses will be posted by December 6, 2019
- Information and materials submitted in response to the RFQ will be evaluated by a Curatorial Advisory Committee comprised of high profile nationally recognized arts professionals.
- Candidates in the Artist Pool will be notified if short-listed to develop a proposal for a specific opportunity.
- When short-listed, artists will be provided relevant project information and a stipend to present proposals for evaluation by a community-based peer review panel.
About Metro Art
For more information about the Metro Art program, projects in the works, tours, events, publications and artist opportunities: