Gluten-free Almond and coconut pancakes with spiced plums – By Lisa Linder (Recipe from the UK and mostly uses metric measurements, but we converted the oven temp to Fahrenheit.)
These protein-rich pancakes are a great option if you’re eating gluten-free. And the accompanying spiced plums and rich plum sauce are bound to elevate your breakfast fare.–Bella
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes. Serves Four.
For the plums: 12 ripe plums / 1 tbsp runny honey / 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice / 1 tsp grated orange zest / 2 tbsp orange juice
For the pancakes: 100g ground almonds / 25g coconut flour / 1 tsp ground cinnamon / 1½ tsp baking-powder / 4 organic free-range eggs / 200ml coconut milk / seeds from 1 vanilla pod / 1 tbsp runny honey / 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees
- Cut the plums in half, discard the pits, and place eight plums (16 halves), cut-side up, on a parchment-lined baking-sheet.
- Mix the honey, spice, orange zest and juice and pour over the plums.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool. As the plums cool, they will release their natural juice. Blend the remaining four plums with the cooking juices and set aside.
- Put the ground almonds in a large mixing-bowl. Sift the coconut flour, cinnamon and baking-powder over the top and mix together thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the coconut milk, vanilla seeds and runny honey, and then beat this into the dry mixture to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a small non-stick frying-pan over a low heat. Add a little coconut oil and drop a large spoonful of pancake batter into the hot pan (the mixture should be enough for four pancakes). Cook for one minute, then flip the pancake over and cook for a further minute on the other side until golden brown. Slide out of the pan and keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes in the same way.
- Reheat the plums gently. Serve the pancakes with the warm plums, drizzled with the plum sauce.
Recipe from Gut Gastronomy by Vicki Edgson and Adam Palmer, published by Jacqui Small (£30)
Bella’s note: This recipe is ripe for a bit of dark exotic Rum added in moderation, to either the pancake batter or the plums mixture, not both or you will ruin it! A perfect Sunday Brunch with steamed Asparagus salt/pepper and Rosemary Flounder…All light additions without additional sauces, to not out-stage the delicate Pancakes.