by Ray Jones
Law is not as tough as you thought. Poets, radio personalities, journalists, educators, script writers, song writers, advertising copywriters, professors, librarians, secretaries, or homemakers may find it easier to read and use law to challenge or solve problems than they think. You can find these books in some libraries. A good local resource is the LA County Law Library on W. 1st Street in downtown LA.
Here are some books to start with:
- West’s California code forms, with practice commentaries. Government. 2012. RR KFC750.A65 W44
- West’s California code forms, with practice commentaries. Civil. Robinson, Jeanne P. c2007. RR KFC68.A3 2007
- West’s California code forms, with practice commentaries. Civil procedure. Ogden, Gregory L. 2006-
- KFC995.A65 O35 2006
- West’s annotated California codes. California. [1954- date]
- Development of law in California by William J. Palmer and Paul P. Selvin. Palmer, William J., 1890-c1983. KFC78.P34 1983
- 2016 Physicians’ Desk Reference, 70th Edition
- California Jury Instructions Civil Forms, Spring 2016 Edition, Paperback, Thomson Reuters
- California Jury Instructions Civil, Spring 2014 Edition, Paperback, West Publishing
- California Rules of Court – State and Federal District Courts, 2015 ed. (Vols. I & II, California Court Rules)
- Federal Appellate Practice: Ninth Circuit, 2015-2016 ed. (Cooper) Thomson Reuters
- Federal Civil Rights Acts, 3d, 2016-1 ed. (Smolla) 2 Volume Paperback, Thomson Reuters
- Federal Habeas Manual: A Guide to Federal Habeas Corpus Litigation 2010 (Means) West Publishing
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Rules and Commentary, 2016 ed. (Gensler) 2 Volume Paperback, Thomson Reuters
- Federal Trial Handbook: Civil, 4th 2015 ed. (Arthgur) 2 Volume Paperback, Thomson Reuters
- Guidebook to the Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts, 2016 edition. 3 Volume Paperback with CD-ROM, Thomson Reuters
- Judicial Council of California Civil Jury Instructions, 2015, CACI, Lexis Publishing
- Los Angeles County Court Rules – Superior Courts and Key Rules, 2016 ed. (Vols. IIIE & IIIF, California Court Rules), Thomson Reuters
- Police Misconduct: Law and Litigation, 3d ed., 2015-2016 by Avery Thomson, Reuters. New Paperback.
- Southern California Local Court Rules – Superior Courts and Key Rules, 2016 ed. (Vols. IIIi & IIIJ, California Court Rules) 2 Volume Set. paperback. Thomson Reuters
- Torts (Calif. Civil Practice Re:) 2014-1, 3-volume paperback edition, West.
Much of law is based not on legislation but what is known as “case law.” In California, the official reports of CA Supreme Court cases are published in the California Reports (1st-4th Series) and the official reports of the Court of Appeal cases are published in the California Appellate Reports (1st-4th Series). These report cite decisions by the name of the parties, give an official citation to the ruling, and then offers other “parallel” or unofficial citations, all of which carry the same text of the judicial opinion.